From:
Robert Cordes DO <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Apr 1998 18:39:47 -0400
In ref to Renee B's post
Babies can be allergic to porteins passed in mom's milk. Cow's milk protein is a big offeneder.
It wasnt completely explained what the baby's full symptoms were. Allergies can cause antral grastritis leading to reflux but usually cause lower GI symptoms too. If this baby was scoped he was propably found to have inflamatory changes in his intestines and therefore dx allergic.
If he is allergic rechallenging too soon can cause more severe symptoms. The unlikely but worse case is anaphylaxis. I dont know for sure but would think this is less likely if rechallenged via the breastmilk but I'd be hesitant to try too soon without a physician's OK.
-Rob