From:
Cathy Bargar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 10:50:35 -0400
<I want to call the nurse manager of the postpartum unit and relay this
history
to her.  I am not sure if I should be the one to do this, or should I
encourage the parents to do this.>

Well, SOMEONE needs to do it - and I would recommend cc-ing not just the
unit mgr, but the nursing administration and the CEO of the hospital as
well. I would do it in writing, so you/they are able to lay the situation
out clearly and without interruption or distraction, and without bursting
into tears or erupting into emotional anger. If the parents aren't up to it
(and I would suspect that right now they aren't in their best rational
form - but maybe later, after this has healed a bit), perhaps you could get
their permission to do the "relaying of the history". With, of course, the
appropriate disclaimers that you are representing the parents' side of the
story - but this history is pretty clear!

There is NO WAY this should just left without the appropriate
people/practices/policies being called to account. This is not appropriate
practice, and corrective action is needed. What an appalling story! So, yes,
if the parents aren't feeling strong enough to take it on, you must stir
things up there - but get their consent to share the story first. This seems
to me like a case that could be brought up with a little legal ooomph behind
it, or a copy of the letter sent to the State Dep't of Health (or the
appropriate division in charge of hospital practices oversight).

Cathy Bargar, RN, IBCLC Ithaca NY