Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 08:28:18 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
I would ask the wise ones of this list to share some of their secrets with the newbies... I frequently hear from women in different groups I participate in discuss their mothering/birthing/nursing experiences.  It is so interesting, and so dadgum frustrating to hear how misinformation and mismanagement of their situations gets shared as "gospel".  When I try to gently or diplomatically share information that I know to be factually correct, I am perceived as either a wet blanket or dismissed.

Case in point:  at a holiday gift exchange and potluck of moms and kids yesterday, they were discussing one of the women's friends, whose child is "allergic to breastmilk" and all the formulas. (now I know from my reading here, and elsewhere, how rare a true breastmilk allergy is).  She goes on to say how they called "the La Leche League", and they told her to cut all dairy from her diet.  But, this mom has to drink one big glass of milk  a day in order to make milk.  ACK.  

And I admit my reaction was not tactful!  I said "But that's not true!!"  They all shot me one of those "you idiot" looks, and said, well, it is for her.  (not meaning, in this woman's mental state, she feels she must have a glass of milk, but meaning instead that this woman's physiological makeup requires a glass of milk for her milk production to occur)

sigh.  I went on to say how this mom must be so worried about her baby, and how I hoped it all turned out OK for her.... and went home shaking my head.

So, how do you experienced LactNetters deal with this sort of frustrating experience?  I know that one can offer information, but it is not our responsibility to make people follow it, if they choose not to.  But, personally, it is frustrating to see how many times erroneous info wins out over the truth, and gets spread around as fact.

Trish K, a newbie learning more and more every day...

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2