From:
Tricia Shamblin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Sep 2013 13:06:21 -0700
Does anyone know the exact policy of bfhi regarding formula? Our hospital does not give out any gift bags with formula. We have a nice gift bag instead, with a water bottle, picture frame, etc. But I still have nurses on the unit that every time a mom asks for free formula (whether they are bfding or not) they fill up the gift bag with formula. The mother usually gives them a sob story about how they don't have any money for formula. I'm pretty sure that if we want to achieve bfhi some day, that we need to stop giving out any free formula, right? Even if a mother is only formula feeding, or has a medical condition that precludes bfding, still we cannot give out free formula. My feeling is that once you say yes to one person, you have to give it to anyone that asks and then we are going to be giving it to bfding moms. And if they need milk until they can get to the WIC clinic, I would encourage them to breastfeed until their wic appointment. Or am I
 wrong? If they truly cannot breastfeed and have no money, in the future I would prefer to give them information about local food pantries. I have heard that there may be some circumstances where it is acceptable to give if it is truly a medical necessity, and other people say no, never.

Tricia Shamblin, RN, IBCLC