Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 15:16:53 -0400
Congratulations to Carol, Pat, and Diane.  You've learned your lessons
about the safety of banked donor milk from a Human Milk Banking Association
of North America member milk bank well!

And to Star Siegfried - you have a milk bank in San Jose, CA, practically
in your back yard.  They do a great job talking to physicians (who must
prescribe donor milk) to allay fears about donor milk safety.  Phone # for
San Jose is 408-998-4550.

Specifically to Star, we serum screen all donors for HIV-1 and -2 antibody
and antigen, HTLV-1 and -2 antibody, Hep B serum antigen, Hep C antibody,
and syphilis.  We do not accept anyone as a donor if a test comes back
positive, EVEN IF the retest shows that the first test was a false psitive.
Additionally, pasteurization does destroy HIV as well as numerous other
viruses and bacteria.  Additonally, human milk has some wonderful antiviral
properties of its own that can destroy cell free HIV and greatly reduce the
titer of cell-associated HIV.  So put those fears to rest and spread the
word.  I would be happty to talk to parents or prescribing physicians as
well.  This certainly is the safest "tissue transplant"

Lois D. W. Arnold, MPH, IBCLC
Executive Director, Human Milk Banking Association of North America, Inc.
8 Jan Sebastian Way #13, Sandwich, MA 02563 USA
toll free phone in the US 888-232-8809; fax 508-888-8050