From:
"Mailloux, Joedi" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 14:40:29 -0500
Patricia,
For which part do you want the reference?  It was a statement made on a dietitian's network, which in turn our dietitian forwarded to me.  I was always under the impression that large amounts of foremilk and low amounts of hindmilk, as often seen in oversupply situations, can make the baby gassy/colicky.  According to the dietitian's statement that is quoted, this is no longer the belief.  I believe, through my own personal experience, that oversupply and emptying the first breast before offering the second, helps decrease colicky behavior.  Am I incorrect in believing this?
"It has been fairly widely thought that the foremilk has more protein and
carbohydrate and the hindmilk more fat, however (someone) recently completed
her Lactation Counselor Certificate through The Center for Breastfeeding.
In the handbook she brought back from her course it discussed that this is
no longer the thought and that even babies who have very short nursing
sessions will get a balance of prot/CHO/fat."

Joedi Mailloux RNC, BSN, IBCLC

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This email message and any accompanying data are confidential, and intended only for the named recipient(s).  If you are not the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that the dissemination, distribution, and or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.  If you receive this message in error, or are not the named recipient(s), please notify the sender at the email address above, delete this email from your computer, and destroy any copies in any form immediately.