From:
Kimberly Pincus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 09:58:19 -0500
ifab wrote:

> I know that this seems like an elementary question and for those that
> work with SNS's daily I'm sure it is that is why I seek your collective
> wisdom.  I thankfully don't often have the occasion to recommend it's use
> often and when I do I find I stumble over the logistics of it's use.
> I had a mom that wanted to get baby "back to breast" after one week of
> using ABM and not being able to latch baby after grandma suggested she
> use a bottle because the baby "wasn't getting anything".  Mom was very
> upset and felt grandma (her mom) had sabotaged her efforts.  I suggested
> the use of an SNS/electric pump as we were able to get baby to the breast
> and latched without alot of distress on the baby's part.
> Here is the logistics question:  If she pumps prior to a feed then the
> baby will most likely use whatever she pumps, then there will be no
> leftovers and no way for her to tell how much to reduce the amount in the
> SNS by next time.  If she pumps after the feed, she will probably not get
> much to put in the SNS the next time and will have to resort to using ABM
> as the supplement.
> As I am writing this (its amazing how much clearer things seem when your
> not in the midst of chaos) I'm thinking probably best to recommend
> pumping in between nursing sessions like an hour after/before nursing but
> it seems like a lot to ask and there really is no way to predict when the
> baby will want to nurse again anyway.
> Can someone help me over this stumbling block?  I can't believe I'm
> having this much difficulty with what seems like such a simple question.
>
> Ilene Fabisch, IBCLC, LLLL, WIC Bf Co and NE Rep
> Brockton, MA

> LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
> mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
Sounds like your figuring it out on your own. Keep up the good work. Get
him back to the breast is the goal and the sns can help do that by
increasing the flow. Pump in between or pump one side and use the sns on
the other with the pumped milk sometimes works well. Keep supporting her
in her efforts. It can seem like too big a job for her but hopefully it
will only take a couple of days of frustration on her part. Stay away
from bottle for a while