Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2008 22:10:56 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
I can't figure out if I am wanting to blame severe breastfeeding problems my clients have on posterior tongue ties or that I am getting good at noticing them and getting them addressed. It seems like I see one baby a week lately that has all the symptoms and concerns of a 3-4 degree posterior tongue tie. I haven't been able to get Catherine's book on sucking issues because I am getting ready for surgery and won't have a brain. 

I have a 37 weeker who I first saw on day 4...not voiding, losing weight and looking jaundance. Mom had sore nipples. We worked on getting moms milk supply up and lots skin to skin and taught finger feeding to bring in more calories. Baby would just fall asleep after a few sucks at the breasts but thought that this baby was just weak from not getting enough food. Now the parents called today...a week later.  Said that the baby loves the peridontal syringe and cries at the breasts and the few times he does latch on, the nipple looks like a lip stick afterwards and mom has scabs on her nipples. Baby does have a bubble palate, a labial frenelum but his lip can be brought up to his nose and a short, bunched tongue that likes to "stay back". The tongue comes out very little. I do not see any membrane there. Looking up the archives, Catherine mentioned that even with the 4th degree all it does take is a small snipe at the bottom of the tongue. I know that the asymmetrical latch helps, but I haven't had much luck with it personally in these situations. Anything else that may help this mom and baby? Other than sending her to a ped ENT? Am I jumping to conclusions that all these babies can have posterior tongue tie? If they fit under all the criteria that Catherine Watson Genna has provided. I know that Catherine is taking a break from lactnet at the moment and I appreciate her insights to this but anyone else find success for a mom and baby with a posterior tongue tie without snipping? This mom and her partner are the most gentle, patient people I have ever encountered. They will do anything to make this work. 
Thanks again. 
Julie; IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2