From:
Virginia G Thorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 10:41:39 +1000
Magda asked if anyone knew where the terms "foremilk" & "hindmilk" came from.  As far as I know, they entered the medical domain with the publication of F. Charlotte Naish's book (titled Breast Feeding, from memory - I lent out my copy year ago and it was never returned).  She used terms from (bovine) dairying.  Terms such as "let-down" and "draught reflex", also from dairying, were already in use by then, through other researchers.
   I agree with Magda that mothers don't really need to know all of this, just how to maximize milk transfer, which will take care of it all.  However, as a lot of Mums now express concerns about fat content through the feed, we need to know how to talk to them where they are at, allay fears and show they how to make breastfeeding work for them.  How we approach this may be different for each Mum.
   In haste,
       Virginia
       in sunny Brisbane