From:
"The Bradshaw's est. 1992" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Sep 2005 21:48:18 -0400
Hello ,
    I am a pediatric/ labor/nicu nurse mother of 3 trying to become an iblc.
This is my first post.  MY middle child Jackie was a breath holder.  We
first noticed when she was an infant when she bumped her head there would be
along pause until she finally cried.  When she reached toddlerhood she did
eventually pass out about half a dozen times.  She would get quite blue.  MY
nurse friends were shocked at how blue she did become.  I did take her to
the peds.  He and I decided it was good old fashioned breath holding.  ( he
did give her a very detailed exam).She only did it when very frightened or
hurt.  This is pretty much out of the child's control at this stage.  It can
progress to when angry and onto attention seeking.  I treated this events
very low key.  I used a calm voice and then placed her in a soft area,
monitored her and then it would end.  I did not get excited (externally).  I
didn't do anything more during the event.  She did out grow it by three.
She does well in school and sports.  NO adverse effects that we know of.
Any brain cells damaged must have been reduced due to the fact she nursed
until 4yrs.  MY youngest, who was premature only held his breath once , the
first time I gave him his iron supplement.  He did become anemic as
evidenced by lab results.  I never recommend iron supplements to moms until
they have the blood work done.  I feel this is worth it.
Good luck---Cheryl