From:
"Mading, Winifred" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Sep 2000 11:18:58 -0500
Cindy,
My preference (and I think I saw this somewhere in the last couple years) is
the single word breastfeeding.  This implies that the 2 are intertwined.
Separating it into 2 separate words reflects the attitude too prevalent
today  where the container (breast) and the contents (milk or feeding) are
considered 2 separate entities that don't need to be together to get the
full benefit.  Therefore, bottle feeding (separate words) would be correct
because the bottle and the feeding (feeder) don't have to be together.
I suppose the third choice with the hyphen would be preferable to 2 separate
words, but again, I use breastfeeding and breastmilk as single words,
separating "breast" and "milk" only when they are separated as in "EBM".
Winnie Mading, IBCLC