From:
Sam Doak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 May 2008 15:39:43 -0400
I would wonder if the "initial low blood sugar" is because the baby was
separated from the mother?

Newborns have no ability to create heat. Many nurses like to grab up the
baby, dry it off, wrap it like a burrito and put it under a warmer. I liken
it to wrapping up a chicken off the counter, and putting it under a warmer.
In 1/2 hour, is the chicken going to have a raised core temp? No.

If a baby is cold, he uses his blood sugar first, and then fat stores to
create heat, thus decreasing blood sugar levels and then fat stores.

A cold baby is a hypoglycemic baby.

My first intervention would be to get that baby on the mother's bare
belly/chest, wrap them up together, and let her hormonal heat source heat
that baby up to preserve blood glucose. If the mother is not available,
strip down the father or grandmother, get the baby on a naked chest, and
wrap them both together. The mother is the most effective baby warmer.

If you're seeing a lot of initial hypoglycemia, perhaps the birth sequence
needs to be evaluated. Instead of treating the symptoms, fix the cause.

Sam Doak

<<

I want to find out what other hospitals are doing about initial low blood
sugars on newborns when parents do not want bottles used.

There is no expressed colostrum because the mother just delivered (yes, I
know some may recommend that she pump at 38-40 weeks prenatally if her baby
is at risk for hypoglycemia, but our docs won't go there).  At this time,
our director is not willing to allow nurses syringe or cup feeding due to
the risk of aspiration or perforation of the palate.  We have many new
nurses who have not been trained or are comfortable doing this anyway.  When
I suggested paced bottle-feeding with a slow-flow nipple, management frowned
because the baby needs to be fed quickly to get that sugar up.  We are a
busy hospital and do not have 24 hour-a-day LC coverage.  Any suggestions on
how to please the parents who don't want bottles used while treating their
hypoglycemic newborn?

> Tanya E. Cheney, RN, BSN, CCE
> Lactation Consultant
> Hampton Roads Area of Virginia