From:
Darlene A Breed <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 23:42:56 -0500
We always have a supply of milk for our babies.   We are one of the few
established milk banks left in the country.   The milk needs to be kept
at 0 degrees in a NON frost free freezer.  It can be kept for one year
from the date of collection.  We heat treat our milk in 2 oz and 4 oz
containers.  The premi milk is done in 2 oz containers.  Once the milk is
thawed it is good for 24 hours.  We do have a procedure and consent
forms.  We also have a written information sheet for the parents to read
before they sign the consent.
Darlene Breed, BSN, RN, IBCLC
Worcester, MA (USA)

On Wed, 2 Dec 1998 19:43:10 -0500 "Carla D'Anna" <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
>Does anyone keep a stock of frozen donor milk on site for use during
>the
>first few days of life while mom and baby are still hospitalized after
>birth?  I'm thinking of those times when there is a medical indication
>for supplementation.
>
>What would be involved in this?
>I can think of only:
>1) a freezer with appropriate monitoring of temperature
>2) permits to use the donor milk
>3) acquisition of the donor milk from an established milk bank
>4) information to present to staff and parents on this as a preferred
>method of feeding (#3) over formula (#4)
>5) information on the safety of donor milk
>6) policy for use of donor milk
>
>How long can donor milk be stored frozen and what is the preferred
>temperature?
>
>Can it be obtained in individually frozen 1/2 to 1 ounce portions?
>I'm
>thinking most often 10 - 30 ml is all that is needed for most newborn
>medical indications.
>
>How long can refrigerated, previously frozen donor milk be saved for
>use.
>
>--
>Carla D'Anna, RN, IBCLC hospital based LC
>from Maryland, just north of Washington, DC
>mailto:[log in to unmask]

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]