From:
Julie Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jul 2014 17:01:47 -0400
I have permission to post and use this image.

This patient came to see us this afternoon concerned about a 'blister' on her nipple. I was surprised to see what, at first glance, looked like an accessory nipple.
This appeared very quickly last night and as you can see is on the areola - not the nipple itself. It is fluid filled, soft and tender to the touch. There are no signs or symptoms of local or generalized infection that I could discern. The surrounding tissue is soft, undamaged and not tender. This does not appear to have been generated by damage from the infant or the breast pump.
 This mother is eight weeks post partum and has a non-remarkable history.
Since my colleague and myself were at a complete loss we referred her to her MD with advice to consult sooner rather than later.
Have any of you ever seen this sort of thing before? I would be very grateful for your input.

Julie Taylor
RN IBCLC