From:
Marie Schulte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Jan 1996 06:58:05 -0800
I completely agree that EBM and pumping are great for Moms who choose to be
away from baby for extended periods while at work. (The fact that "work" and
family life are so far apart in this culture is the real problem, but I
digress) I would argue that nighttime nursing is even more important for
these Moms. Nighttime is a time to reconnect with the baby, maintain milk
supply, catch up on skin time, innoculate baby against that bug she picked up
at day care, etc. etc. I can think of a million reasons for Mom to nurse at
night and not one reason for relief bottles at night. Babies tend to be more
vulnerable and less willing to accept substitutions for nursing at night.  As
they get older, even babies who are not separated from Mom during the day
often start nursing more at night than during the day because they are busy
crawling, exploring, tearing down their brother's block castle, etc. If Mom
needs a break Dad could take even a young baby out for a while. Older babies
often love even extended time alone with Dad or someone else, but nighttime
is when most nursing babies I know want Mom and no one else. As more "normal"
(whatever that is) nursing patterns become more acceptable, maybe there won't
be so much emphasis on "sleeping through the night".  I keep trying to
picture my poor husband desparately trying to get my screaming baby to sleep
with a bottle (after going to the kitchen to get it, I suppose) so I can get
some sleep, when she just wants to nurse for five minutes and drift off to
sleep. What is the point?

Marie of WI LLLL & MOM