From:
"Jane A. Bradshaw" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 1997 08:57:42 -0500

<<
 > How about: "Would you like to be able to breastfeed?"

 Doesn't that leave women who are unsure with a sense that they might not
 be able to breastfeed?  I think there is an underlying expectation of
 failure in this question.  I really have never come up with a way to ask
 pregnant women about their plans in a way that I am comfortable with.

 Sarah

Hi Sarah,
I still think you are uncomfortable because the question is really
inappropriate.  Mothers should not be asked to make this important decision
in early pregnancy.  The baby is often not real to them yet.  They are still
envisioning playing dolls, not caring for a real baby.  We shoul set the tone
that pregnancy is a time of learning.  We should let the mother know of all
the great educational opportunities in her community, hospital, clinic,
doctor's office and gently, but firmly, with all the professional persuasion
you can muster, push her toward these offerings.  If she tells you she
doesn't want to hear about breastfeeding because she has decided to bottle
feed, then we should be coming up with phrases to address that.  "Oh, I see.
 Well breastfeeding is part of what you will learn about in your WIC
nutrition classes (Childbirth classes, baby care classes, etc.).  You may
find it interesting.  You have lots of time to make your decisions.  Mothers
often change their minds even after the baby is born.  No decision you make
now is final.  You can change your mind at any time. Lots of mothers do."
 What we can let them know in a caring way is that they don't need to make a
decision now, and even if they think they have, it's not binding.

Norma Ritter said:
My *baby* is now 16 years old, and I still shudder at the thought of what I
saw as *interrogations* by a no-doubt well-meaning HCP. As the sergeant
always says on *Hill Street Blues*, "Let's be careful out there!"

Norma, I agree with you.
Jane