From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2000 00:07:47 EDT
Terriann asked:
<<I have a question from a  breastfeeding mom of a nine-month-old who wants
to take a Bone Meal supplement to get 400 mg of phosphorous for prevention of
bone degeneration in her jaw line.   She is also taking:

* a prenatal vitamin/ mineral supplement

*  vitamin E (400 IU)

*  Vit C (500 mg)

*  600 mg. Alfalfa tablets

*  brewer's yeast tablets.

Does any nutrition knowledgeable Lactnetter know if this combination is
"safe" for her and her son?  She is particularly asking about the amount of
phosphorous.>>

I forwarded this to an herbalist and asked her how this might fit w/ my
understanding that too much phosphorus depletes the body of calcium. Here is
her response.:

Yes you are right-- too much phosporus is not good for our bones.
However, a shortage of phos. is also problematic-- it can also cause
bone depletion. 85% of the phos. in our bodies is found in bone. Phos.
is found in protein foods -- esp. meat.  Also found in cola (phosphoric
acid) and whole grains.  Most people get enough phos. and many get too
much.  If this mom eats a very calcium rich diet, she can take some
extra phos. to enhance bone building, so long as she doesn't eat a lot
of meat, processed foods and or drink cola.

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA