From:
Kim Pleticha <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 May 2005 11:47:50 -0500
On May 3, 2005, at 11:11 AM, LACTNET automatic digest system wrote:

> The only requirement for infant baptism is a
> reasonable expectation that the child would be raised in the faith.

Actually....many Catholic churches impose a MUCH higher standard for
infant baptism: some require six months of religious education for the
parents, for starters, along with documentation demonstrating that the
parents are committed to the religion (e.g., documents of parents'
baptism, confirmation, etc.).

However, whether the child was conceived "artificially" is NOT one of
the questions priests generally ask and, theologically speaking, is not
something that would prevent a child from being baptized even if the
priest did ask it.  As a previous writer mentioned, children are not
held responsible for the actions of their parents.

I know this has nothing to do with religion vs. breastfeeding, but I
thought I'd mention it since many folks are surprised that some
churches impose a "high" standard on having kids baptized.  I will
mention, however, that if one church turns you down you should look for
another because the baptism requirements may be completely different
(even within the same diocese).

BTW: The Catholic Church wholly supports the natural birth control
afforded by breastfeeding. I don't know what "sect" of religion the man
was who claimed that breastfeeding was birth control via the back
door...but if he's Catholic he's theologically off base.

~Kim
(Raised Catholic, attended Catholic school, taught catechism, but now a
Unitarian...although still very interested in Catholic theology!)
Kim Pleticha
Publisher & Editor
Parent:Wise Austin Magazine
5501-A Balcones Drive • Suite 102 • Austin, TX 78731
Phone: (512) 699-5327 • Fax: (512) 323-2260
www.ParentWiseAustin.com