From:
"Jennifer Tow, IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 2016 00:49:22 -0500
Joan,

Abx are not selective, they wipe out gut flora, "good" and "bad". The

baby's gut is inoculated with maternal flora in utero, during birth,

while STS and during breastfeeding via the entero-mammary pathway. So,

when mom's gut is damaged, so is baby's. Abx deplete B1, B2, B3, B6,

B12, K; biotin, inositol, calcium, magnesium and iron, Lactobacillus

acidophilus and Bifidobacteria bifidum. Candida thrives in the absence

of biotin (which is one reason I suggest it as part of a protocol to

treat thrush). Antifungals deplete calcium, magnesium, potassium and

sodium. While pbx need to be given when anyone takes abx, the long-term

consequences of abx exposure are more significant than most people

presume. I would not dismiss the potential that the baby is intolerant

to foods, as such intolerances are often the consequence of abx

exposure. Secondary lactase insufficiency can also result from abx

exposure. Supporting the immune system and healing the gut (mother and

baby) would be a better approach than taking more drugs and depleting

more nutrients.