Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 09:44:03 EDT
Dr Hale and all,
    This might be a post someone would be searching for someday, full of
excellent info, but with only a LACTNET subject title, I fear it wouldn't be
easy to find, so I am just redoing with a specific subject line, in case.
Pardon if this is redundant...
Judy LeVan Fram, Brooklyn, NY
<< Re:  I-131

 I, along with the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, have for some time
 suggested that breastfeeding following I-131 use is unwise.

 Few people realize, that I-123 is actually in many cases a better agent
 to use for a quick scan.  It has a brief half-life and you can
 breastfeed after a short interruption (NRC).  According to at least one
 book I've seen on radiology,  I-123 actually gives a better, more
 accurate scan than I-131.

 Perhaps the mom should ask the radiologist about I-123.

 Tom Hale, Ph.D.