From:
Dianne Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Oct 2005 08:34:42 -0700
Hi Karen,

As someone else pointed out, the quote you refer to is from the late Dr.
Gregory White (husband of one of the LLL founders).  Because it is one of
my favorite quotes ever regarding mothering and one I use at every
breastfeeding class I teach, I'll quote it here in full for those who
aren't familiar with it:

"A lot of people think they are entitled to a night's sleep.  Nobody's
entitled to a full night's sleep and very few mothers get one.  Many people
do at one time or another during their lives, and I'm all for it.  But no
one's entitled to it, whether she's a new mother or not, if someone needs
her.  If a lazy, self-indulgent old man like me can get out of bed in the
middle of the night to help people he hardly knows, certainly a mother can
do this for her own child."  (_Womanly Art of Breastfeeding_, 7th rev.,
pg.102-3)

I swear, it strikes me so to the core of my being that I get tears in my
eyes *every* time I read it!

~Dianne Oliver, LLLL, IBCLC
Simi Valley, CA