From:
Lynn Shea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Nov 2001 20:01:50 EST
In a message dated 11/17/01 8:24:34 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

>I think some babies do gain on every 3-5 hr
>feedings, but I think they are few and far between (rare) and not seen
>in
>the newborn period. IMHO. Good discussion going here.
Hi Laurie,
I appreciate your example and agree, largely, with what you are saying here.
I must say that I probably shouldn't have written the original post tired and
just before bed :), as I should have differentiated between the newborn
period and infancy. Thank- you for doing so!
You may have noticed that I said "largely agree"......I am not sure that I
would agree with the idea that babies who gain well on a less frequent
feeding regime are "few and far between". Currently, I followup on the dyads
that I see through my job as a visiting nurse and many are gainly very nicely
on an average of about 8 fds./day. I'd like to think that professional
support at this crucial point in the establishment of effective feeding is a
factor in this but whether this frequency is preferable or not, I don't know.
 I also seem some who gain well on as little as 6-7fds/day. Any less than 6
on a consistent basis, my guess is
that it becomes very difficult to continue with good wt gain.
Lynn Shea Rn,Bsn,Ibclc
Franklin, Massachusetts