From:
Sara Schouten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2006 13:01:05 +0800
I have just joined Lactnet, I am a IBCLC and midwife working in Perth Western Australia at King Edward Memorial Hospital which is the only obstetric tertiary hospital in Western Australia. I work in the 80 bed NICU, mainly as a nurse but also doing  holiday relief of our one IBCLC. I am the chair person of the Lactation Advisers team in NICU. I am also an ABA breastfeeding counsellor of some 17 years, and am Mum to Jess BF for 16 months and Rob BF for 4 years.
    I am looking for help in formulating a consent form for the use of ABM in the NICU. Currently we have a stamp that goes in the notes stating "I give consent for my baby to receive breast milk substitute" and then signed by either parent. Parents are given no written information and so are definitely not giving informed consent. This form will have to be approved for use by the neonatologists so will have to be carefully worded. I have looked in the archives, and can't find anything related to use in the NICU, so can anyone help please?