From:
Magda Sachs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 19:36:37 +0100
>I have always considered growth charts to have no use whatsoever.<

>I need to get dug out but there was a presentation at ILCA ( great
conference) showing the incredible differnce in plotting on who charts vs
the
"standard"... <

Patricia, I would also be most interested in knowing the references for this
talk, and I am sure that there will be a difference in showing a baby's
weight plotted on a conventional growth chart (esp the US one) and a chart
based on breastfed babies.  However, I think seeing a difference doesn't
tell us whether one is more helpful or 'valid' in a meaningful way......  I
think plotted weights have some use, but I don't think we have the measure
of what they mean or can tell us....

I think they are a sort of proxy measure for growth and development.
Imagine if we were dolphins, we might use the displacment of our babies in a
measured quantity of water to get a different proxy of the same thing.  Here
in the UK there are also head circumference and length measures taken for
the same reason.  I am sure these all have some relationship to development,
health and growth, but I have not yet found anything to convince me that the
relationship is linear, straightforward or simple.

Magda Sachs
Breastfeeding Supporter, BfN, UK
(frankly, water displacement sounds more fun, anyway!)