From:
David Sulman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Jan 2012 21:36:21 -0600
Andrea won't be able to include everything she knows that is
important about breastfeeding in a one hour class for docs, but she
can give them some resources for further study.

As well as those already suggested, such as the Academy of
Breastfeeding Medicine protocols at  http://www.bfmed.org   here are
two more that may be of help for further study after the class:

World Health Organization. “Infant and Young Child Feeding: Model
Chapter for Textbooks for Medical Students and Allied Health
Professionals” (2009)

http://www.who.int/nutrition/publications/infantfeeding/
9789241597494.pdf

This is available free, on line.

Here is the table of contents:
> Introduction 1
> Session 1 The importance of infant and young child feeding and
> recommended practices 3
> Session 2 The physiological basis of breastfeeding 9
> Session 3 Complementary feeding 19
> Session 4 Management and support of infant feeding in maternity
> facilities 29
> Session 5 Continuing support for infant and young child feeding 37
> Session 6 Appropriate feeding in exceptionally difficult
> circumstances 51
> Session 7 Management of breast conditions and other breastfeeding
> difficulties 65
> Session 8 Mother’s health 77
> Session 9 Policy, health system and community actions 81
> Annexes
> Annex 1 Acceptable medical reasons for use of breast-milk
> substitutes 89
> Annex 2 Growth standards 92
> Annex 3 Growth velocity (weight-for-age) tables 95
> Annex 4 Indicators for assessing infant and young child feeding
> practices 97
> List of boxes, figures and tables
> Boxes
> Box 1 Guiding principles for complementary feeding of the breastfed
> child 19
> Box 2 Responsive feeding 20
> Box 3 Five keys to safer food 21
> Box 4 Good complementary foods 23
> Box 5 The ten steps to successful breastfeeding 29
> Box 6 How to help a mother position and attach her baby 31

American Academy of Pediatrics
  “Ten Steps to Support Parents’ Choice to Breastfeed Their Baby:
Breastfeeding Promotion in Physicians' Office Practices”

http://www.aap.org/breastfeeding/curriculum/documents/pdf/tenSteps.pdf

(This was written in 1999 and revised in 2003, so their references
are not as up to date as I'd like to see).

Anne Altshuler, RN, MS, IBCLC, LLLL
Madison, WI, USA