From:
Katherine Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 11:54:14 EDT
In a message dated 10/12/00 8:06:22 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<  The only thing I can think of is some wierd 'strike'.  What do you guys
 think?  Any other thoughts??  I read Dr. Newman's new book.  He talks of 3
 months and 8 months for usual times for these sorts of behavior.  But this
 baby is only 7 weeks.  I would love any input >>

I've seen this a few times....yesterday, I was actually with a friend who's
baby hasn't nursed on the right side since 6 wks of age - she's now 19 mos as
still nursing.  Her second baby stopped nursing on the right side at about 4
mos of age and continued to nurse till about 2 1/2.

Perhaps the perferred breast has a preferred let-down/supply - wether that's
more, or less...who knows  besides baby:)  Another possibility is that
something is hurting baby - other than an ear.  Perhaps his neck, back or
shoulder are sore and positioning nursing on the 'strike' side causes
discomfort or pain.  My little one did this around 2 wks -hated nursing on
the right side.....took her to the chiro, had an adjustment, nursed on both
sides with further issue.

if the cause can't be found, though, and baby is nursing well on the other
side, I wouldnt' encourage baby to nurse to strongly on the strike-side as in
one case, I saw this cause a full-blown nursing strike in 4 mo old that never
was resolved;(

katheirne in atl