From:
"T. Easterday" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 1998 03:57:03 -0600
Hello Lactnetters,

I originally emailed my story to Dianne W. and she asked me to pass it
along to all of you.  My third child was admitted to the NICU with a
diagnosis of TTN (delivered by c-section because I had a complete
placenta previa and was hemorrhaging).  Later they said "maybe it was
pneumonia."  And maybe (I think) it was plain old RDS.  Anyway, they
would not let me nurse him because he was breathing too fast and they
were afraid he would aspirate.  Finally one night shift, the nurse told
me I could nurse him if his respiratory rate came down below 70, then
she left, pulling the screen around us.  I put him to breast and found
that his respiratory rate came down to normal and his oxygen saturation
went up to 99 *only while he was nursing.*  I think that is also what is
described in the "kangaroo care" research.  By the way, Hunter is going
to be three in a week and a half.  He nursed for 2 1/2 years and only
recently weaned during this pregnancy.

Anne Easterday, CLC, CCE, LLLL
Omaha, NE