From:
Sue Samuels <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 May 1997 21:07:31 -0400
Greetings all,

I have a funny to share with you, and a question as well.

I spent a weekend with my 1 year old grandson and his parents a couple
of weeks ago and witnessed hilarious breastfeeding activities.  Jonathan
climbs up in Mom's lap, puts the nipple in his mouth and waits,
patiently, with occasional tiny sucks, for Mom to cooperatively have
letdown for him.  What fun to watch!

Now to my request for help.  I have a mom at my Birth Center who is
about 30 weeks pregnant with her 3rd child.  She bottle fed #1, and
breast #2 for two weeks.  By the time I did her 3 day visit she had very
sore and injured nipples, from positioning as I recall.  Then she
visited the MD and told him that the baby was nursing every one to two
hours.  He determined she had inadequate milk supply (don't ask me how)
and started a supplement which ended the breastfeeding in less than a
week.

Now Mom has developed sore nipples in the 2nd trimester.  She has small
darkened areas about 1/8" on the tips of both nipples in symmetrical
positions, 10:00 on the right and 2:00 on the left.  In addition there
are two blanched, slightly raised areas on the side of the right nipple
just above the darkened area.  The nipples were fairly tender and she
thought they looked a bit cracked when this started.  She's used Viatmin
E with some success and the tenderness is gone, but she's worried about
what will happen when the baby comes.  These areas did not appear
injured to her at the beginning of the pregnancy.

Any suggestions will be gratefully appreciated.

TIA

Sue