From:
jhroibal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 15:22:06 -0700
I just spent over an hour with my sister-in-law who just gave birth to
her third boy.  She breastfed the first for 4 weeks, the second for 2
years and the third . . . remains to be seen :-)

I was helping her to latch on and is seemed like she was totally brain
dead. She was asking, "Is this okay?, When do I switch sides? How do I
hold him?"  It seemed like she forget everything she ever "knew" about
breastfeeding and mothering.

During this birth, the anesthesiologist had just inserted the test-dose
epidural when the baby "popped out," in her words. She midwife barely
caught the baby.

I am suspecting this fogginess has to do with her being up for hours,
being dehydrated, she was NPO, and being distracted due to the death of
our grandmother, who died as she went into labor.

If she had this much forgetfulness as a third time mother, I wonder how
in the world first-time mothers, who may have no prior knowledge of
infants, ever catch anything said to them during the first few hours or
days PP. Plus, they may be dealing with outside family factors like,
visiting relatives, deaths, etc.

Interestingly, for my third, I gave birth at home with a midwife and I
remember the whole day and day after with startling clarity. Especially
my newborn's sounds, sights and scents. Perhaps the home setting allowed
me take in more of the total picture.

Anybody up for new father fogginess?

Heidi S. Roibal BS
Albuquerque, NM