Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 08:16:47 EST
Jeanette Panchula wrote, "I just bring this up so that those who are helping
moms use pumps who report pain while pumping consider the use of the insert
when it may not seem logical..."
Good advice, Jeanette!  When I instruct a mother in correct use of the pump,
I always explain to her that the pump should be VERY comfortable.  If it's
not, I tell her to call me and let me know.  Most of them have been told by
the nurses at the local hospitals that the insert is for women with small
nipples.  I have discovered, like you, that this is not necessarily so.
Since most women find it more comfortable without the insert, I suggest that
she start out that way.  I then suggest that she may want to try the insert
and compare.  Unless the insert makes it more comfortable, she really has no
need for it.
Cher Sealy, RN, BSN, IBCLC
The Breastfeeding Encounter
Montgomery, AL