Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 22:08:44 -0500
Jean, it seems to me that this particular subject may have underlying
issues and players,..perhaps personal axes are being ground somewhere
amidst this very enlightening and valid discussion

....when there is heated debate, there is often "fire" of some
sort.  Anyone can be sued by anyone at any time. Doctors can be sued.
Nurses. IBCLCs. And defense is not free. Of course we want to do the best
thing at all times,....and the safest thing. I also wonder if liability
insurance would hold up and pay if a doctor was sued for destroying
breastfeeding relationships due to giving out bad outdated advice, or sued
for the side effects of formula use, which are very real and substantiated.

Food for thought. Kathleen

At 08:50 AM 3/21/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Actually, the debate has not been about the efficacy of domperidone as a
>galactagogue. That fact is not in dispute. The questions are about
>liability, for the most part. If a doctor prescribes any medicine for a use
>other than that for which it is approved, who is held liable in a court of
>law if there is an untoward outcome? Will the doctor's malpractice insurance
>company stand behind him/her if he/she is sued? What would the defense be?
>"Well, they prescribe it (or use it) like this elsewhere in the world." In
>malpractice law, is that an acceptable defense? And what if the doctor said,
>"The lactation consultant said it was good for  (whatever the med is
>supposed to be good for)." Could the lactation consultant be sued as well?

Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC co-owner Lactnet, Indep. Consultant
http://together.net/~kbruce/kbbspin.html
LACTNET Archives http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/lactnet.html