From:
Johanna Berger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Apr 2000 10:59:06 -0600
Jennifer,

While this is usually the case, I think, we just had a terrible case here
in PA.  Amish family.  Did not get Vit K.  Baby died of Vit K def.  D.A.
ruled it child abuse because of the bruising and internal bleeding
(particularly cranial - i.e., shaken baby syndrome).  Parents had
children immediately removed and put into foster care (not with Amish
families).  Even after it was discovered that it was Vit K def., child
protective services took their own sweet time getting the older children
back.  Older children were not even allowed to attend their sister's
funeral.  IT was horrible.  Lots of insensitivity to downright hositility
on the part of the non-Amish.

While Vit K def. is rare, it does happen.  I, for one, would not want to
take this risk with a child.

Johanna Berger, LSW
Breastfeeding Counselor
Bala Cynwyd, PA