From:
Nina Berry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2008 20:44:02 +1100
Hi Mary Kay and others
The first obligation of Pigeon/Lansinoh is to maximise the profits of its
shareholders.  This company has a long history of simply ignoring the
International Code in order to fulfil this obligation.  If the company
research reveals that health professionals (IBCLCs and others) will not
recommend its products because of this history of code breaching behaviour,
then purchasing another company (such as Lansinoh) that is more highly
regarded amongst the lactation community might be seen as a way to correct
this situation.  The 'Director, Breastfeeding Relations and Outreach' is
charged with making sure we, the lactation community, believe that Pigeon
Lansinoh is a company that desires nothing more than to support
breastfeeding mothers. I, for one, believe that actions speak louder than
words.  When a company such as this stops advertising bottles and teats to
mothers; when it no longer claims that its teat is 'medically proven to be
closer to breastfeeding'; when it stops handing out its products to nurses
at conferences, then and only then will I be willing to consider its
representatives claims to be supportive of breastfeeding.
Regards
Nina Berry
Australia