Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 18:00:58 -0500
> Although I would agree that infrequent but well-fed feeders may be at risk
> for early weaning, I also think that each case should be examined
> individually.

That's why I said "at risk".  The mom you described had her higher-need baby
first, and applied the attachment-style parenting that her first demanded,
to her second, who *didn't* demand it.  Same thing happened to me.  I've
wondered sometimes what kind of mother I'd have been if the order had been
reversed - if I'd had the easy one first and had learned breastfeeding at
long intervals.  The first might have weaned early from lack of "socializing
at breast", and the second might have weaned early because I thought there
was something wrong if he needed to nurse that often.

Come to think of it, my sister had hers in that order.  Her 4-hourly
first-born son weaned at a year, his younger sister by 18 months - both well
below our physiological norm.  She still remembers his style as normal and
her daughter's as "fussy."
--
Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC, LLLL  Ithaca, NY
www.wiessinger.baka.com