From:
Kathy Rubin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jun 1998 17:29:36 EDT
Pat in SNJ and others have recommended the 18 hour UNICEF breastfeeding
program and I agree that it is excellent. However, our hospital would not go
for paying the staff to attend an 18 hour class. We (the three LCs at our
hospital) used the UNICEF course as a basis and produced a one day program for
6 CEUs that has been made *mandatory* for all of our LDRP & Pedi nursing
staff. The info will also be sent out to the local MD offices for their staff
(two have already attended) and the childbirth educators will be strongly
encouraged attend also. The program came off really well--we've done two
programs already with over 30 in attendance. We do not give them any sort of
certification for attending, but they get approved CEUs and a gold ribbon
symbolizing the "gold standard". We plan for more programs in the fall (too
hard to get attendance with vacations now).

Kathy IBCLC RNC in NJ