From:
Darillyn Starr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2013 23:49:36 -0700
I had skin allergies and so did some of my babies.  I used to wash diapers, clothing (the baby's and mine) as well as bedding and anything else that might touch the baby, in a special way, that worked very well.  I put them through a detergent wash (with a little bleach, in the case of diapers) and rinse.  Then, I put them another full cycle, with about a half cup of soap flakes in the wash cycle.  The soap got out the detergent residue and also softened everything, so I had no need of fabric softener.  It was great with old fashioned cloth diapers and diaper pins, because the pins went through very easily.   In those days, Ivory Snow was soap and you could also get White King soap flakes.  I know there is a pink bar laundry soap you can get, now, but it has quite a bit of fragrance in it, so one might do better just getting an unscented soap bar and shredding it like hard cheese.  It does require fairly warm water to dissolve the soap.  When we were in Germany and I only had cold water to wash in, I dissolved the soap flakes in a quart jar of hot water before adding it.  I've also known moms who have done the vinegar rinse, like Jean suggested, and been happy with the results.

Sure hope the baby with the eczema has relief soon!  It's a miserable thing to have!