From:
Cathy Carothers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 16:56:35 -0500
To continue the discussion about the mother forced to drink her own
breastmilk, are mothers also forced to drink formula if it's in a bottle in
the diaper bag, too?  Now *that* is disgusting!

Someone posted that she thought it sad this mother felt she *had* to bring a
bottle of breastmilk to feed her baby instead of just nursing.  While I
agree, I also think we have to be sensitive to the situation mothers face,
as well as their own comfort levels.  Many mothers are very uncomfortable
nursing in public, and the thought of nursing with people seated so close to
you can be very frightening.  I travel a LOT, and it's uncomfortable enough
figuring out who "gets" the elbow arm rest between passengers. We don't know
her situation, but she may have been afraid she'd be "sandwiched" between
two men...or was simply concerned that people across the aisle might be
offended and complain.  We tell mothers they have flexible options when they
are in public situations they might not feel comfortable breastfeeding, and
this mother was exercising that option.  I think she should be commended for
bringing her milk instead of a sealed can of formula.

I have not been able to find an FAA policy requiring mothers to drink
breastmilk or drink anything else from an open container.  Can anyone find
it?  I am always asked to down several good "glugs" of my bottled water
before I go through security, but I never questioned it.  If this is indeed
an FAA policy, then it's time the individual airlines do a better job of
educating mothers about their options when a ticket that includes an infant
is purchased.  Maybe they need a little help from us?

Cathy Carothers, BLA, IBCLC
(601) 372-9529 (home office)