From:
LISA MOONEY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Oct 2000 13:47:07 PDT
Dear Lactnetters, I have heard that thrush can cause latch difficulties in
the form of refusal as the infected mouth can be sore and irritated, which
would make sense. Has this person used Gentian Violet, If I am not mistaken,
Jack has better luck with this then Nystatin for treatment of the Babe's
mouth . ALthough, if the mom has a duct infection I would think she would
need systemic treatment. I would also reccomend she go see an Oriental M.D.
or Naturopath for treatment of yeast as this is a whole body imbalance and
Western approaches usually only treat the symptom and then it will keep
coming back. As for the chin traction, I think we need to be sensitive to
the babe's state of mind and I would never force a chin with traction if the
babe wasn't cooperative. I do employ Craniosacral therapy and Jaw Massage
when I do encounter tight mouths, especially Vacuum Deliveries. This
naturally encourages relaxation, especially of the TMJ anatomy, and I notice
the babe's spontaneously relaxing their jaws and opening their mouths after
this. I posted before,  toxins that mimick estrogen and also Hormones in
meat and milk, and a Progesterone deficiency. This is thought by many
Naturopath and Western MD's to set a woman up for many of the Female
disorders we see today, PMS, endometriosis, post partum depression, Low milk
suppy R/T incomplete breast development in the final phase of Breast
Development. Natural Progesterone supps can help. Where I work I see quite a
larger percentage of lactogenesis failure and/or delay without obvious risk
factors then I was led to believe existed in many classes and Lactation
Texts. Are other LC's seeing this as well? I would estimate, 10-15% versus
the 1-2% most sources state.

Lisa Mooney RN IBCLC CMT CST