Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 21:59:31 +0200
Hi all,
It's nice to see that we can get steamed up about ethics because it is an
important subject.  OTOH given that ethics is about 'how we are to live our
lives in a world that we share with others' maybe getting steamed up to
discuss ethics isn't the most effective approach.  In any case, several of the
listmothers have reached an age where they may feel steamed up at times for
other reasons ('power surges of maturity', I think they are called) and women
in such circumstances have no need of more steam kettles in their virtual
living rooms.  So please keep the discussion on topic and calmly polite.  We
need to have the discussion.  Ethicists believe that their message is
universal.  I'm not so sure, but I am quite sure that in the English-speaking
world to which everyone on Lactnet by necessity belongs, if only for the
purpose of participating on Lactnet, there are no basic ethical principles
that do not apply to all of us.
For those of you who do not know it, I am a US citizen, I vote in US
elections, I am proud of who I am, and I live permanently in another country
with a very, very different culture.  It stings me to hear how Scandinavians
regard ethical consciousness in the US (and I will not go into that here), but
I think the sting is because their criticism often rings true.  I am relieved
that the discussion underway on LN is not confirming the truth of such
criticism, but I'm also concerned that our dialogue about ethics stays polite.
Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway