From:
Janet Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jun 1997 22:43:28 -0700
Hi All,
Regarding this poor baby...My hubbys first comment was "to diagnose a baby
with lactose intolerance then to tell to feed formula is ridiculous."  I agree.
What I see hear (in my limited knowledge base) is a simple problem
exacerbated so far out of bounds that this baby is in terrible trouble.  My
first thought when I read
"...excema, diarreaha, and frothy stools..."  was , milk allergy and
foremilk-hindmilk imbalance.  Both of these could, as we all know have
easily been dealt with and this baby would not have had any of this
frightening stuff happen to it.
My question:  Can mom relactate in a hurry keeping all dairy and other high
allergenic foods out of her diet?  This baby needs breastmilk badly.  Is
there a milk bank in Sydney that they can get donated breastmilk from (is it
screened for lack of dairy?).  Does mom know someone who can donate
breastmilk free from dairy?  If she were closer, (I'd send her some in a
heartbeat.  Goodness knows I am free from dairy having 2 kids allergic to
the stuff).
It is a shame that this had to happen, especially when it seems like such a
simple case that could have been solved by someone who knew what they were
doing.
Jay
Jay Simpson, CLE
Sacramento, CA