From:
"Coleman, Joyce" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 2004 16:29:26 -0400
This was one of the posters that I used for a WBW display.  I almost had
to take it down (along with the Ad Campaign's two ice-cream scoops poster--
looked too much like breasts).  Anyway, I had an overwhelming response
from the housekeeping staff as far as breastfeeding trivia and the
display.  The housekeepers gathered around and tried their hand at the
questions in order to win lollipops.  One man kept getting everything
wrong (no children), but he said, "Teach me.  I want to learn."  He is now
breastfeeding "savvy" and got into a heated discussion with a friend when
he told them that you can't spoil babies by holding them.  He argued his
point by stating that he had been trained by an expert :o)  Another
housekeeper came back to me on a couple other occasions to ask about
breastfeeding and childcare.

Anyway, when I took the display down, another group of housekeepers came
to me one-by-one and asked about the picture of the girl breastfeeding her
doll.  They told me that they had been trying to figure out what it meant--
this had been a topic of discussion for two weeks.  It was amazing to see
the interest that they took in learning about breastfeeding.  We never
know who we're going to impact.

Joyce Coleman, RN, IBCLC