Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 22:03:38 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (13 lines)
I used to be the WIC Breastfeeding Coordinator in our county and part of my job was to hire and help train peer counselors. Twice a year the state does a very good 18 hour training in BF which is also offered to nurses.  So I advertised in the paper for breastfeeding educators who would receive training.   Several nurses and some other professionals applied.  Among the experienced bf moms I hired were several nurses.    I interviewed and let them know what I expected (only 6-8 hours/wk) low pay, hard work, and what they could expect, training which might eventually qualify them to sit for the IBLCE exam, supervision by an IBCLC (me), and a guarantee of some excellent challenges.  We did some home visits, but mostly had people with problems come into the office where we sometimes saw them together, or they saw them and then we consulted.   And we trained them on helping prenatals to decide about bf based on their own life, and the wonderful information and support we could offer.
     The hardest part for me was keeping in touch, since all of us worked part time, but I encouraged them to call me anytime (which they sometimes did!), and I met with each counselor at least once a month to review any hard cases to determine what might have done better, or could still be done.   We also visited the local hospitals and met with their LCs, so we could have faces to go with names.  The hospitals would take referrals from us and visa versa.
   I kept repeating to the nurses that they were giving us so much, and I hoped they were learning a lot.   WIC has great resources in terms of books, pamphlets (none of that formula company stuff), pumps, and even a few shields and bf pillows.   Of course, they were working for about 1/4 to 1/3 the pay they were used to as nurses, but the experience was top notch!   And I only asked that they sign on with an intent to stay at least one year, then I hoped they would go on to spread what they had learned!  
     Peer counselor training is a forever job, as the turnover is high.  But I looked at it as "missionary" work.  They were the missionaries.   I still visit one of the first ones I hired who is now a friend, and she has a large breastfeeding poster on the outside of her apartment door--even tho it's been almost 2 years since she breastfed.
        So I think that the crossover between health professional and lay persons can and should happen since each has something special to bring to the profession.   Michelle Scott, RD,MA,IBCLC in NH

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2