From:
Chanda Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jan 2003 22:58:10 EST
Ibolya,

I can only comment on personal experience on what helped me when I started
having problems getting a letdown paired with an impatient baby. The problems
began shortly after I started menstruating again (which I wonder if this has
happened to the mother now because of the lack of nursing). I started taking
a calcium/magnesium supplement, which helped greatly with my supply (but this
will only help with menstruation-related supply issues). To keep my baby calm
until she would suck long enough for letdown, I would switch her from side to
side. She might have only sucked two or three times on each side, but she
would keep going as long as I would keep switching her. I understand why the
mother is so stressed out, but the most important thing is for her to try to
remain as calm as possible while nursing. The more anxious she gets awaiting
letdown, the more she is going to postpone it. It is very difficult but
necessary. Before I would nurse, I would do the stroke, massage and shake
routine. I had limited results, but I think it did help a little. I also had
limited success with the relaxation and imagery techniques, but I think the
combination of all of the above got us over the hump. I even threw in oatmeal
cookies for good measure :). She might want to try a temporary herbal supply
booster. I recently had great results with Mother's Milk Tea after my supply
dropped greatly after having that *horrible* stomach bug that is going
around. I saw results the night after beginning so I went on and off the tea
within three days, although it sometimes takes people three days to see
initial results.

Once her supply gets established back, she may want to initiate some solids
to deal with the baby's appetite now he is 7 months (if she hasn't already).
I believe she should hold off on the solids, however, until her supply is
back to normal (also on the pacifier use).

It should help to try to feed the baby when he is sleepy, either right before
or right after naps. If she can co-sleep with the baby at night, that might
encourage more nursings to build her supply back up.

Chanda Taylor