From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 20:09:30 -0500
Good evening all. Just a word of caution.

Although we recognize people's desire to help mothers, for many reasons,
Lactnet can *not* to be used for linking private individuals wanting to
buy, trade or sell human milk. Please refer all those seeking to obtain
donor milk, to a milk bank....or to more than one, if one nearby is not
accepting or able to help. Some insurance cover donor milk, I heard,
though I have no direct experience with this.

While we understand that there are altruistic motivations, and a genuine
desire to help behind the posts re: this subject, we must insist that
Lactnet not be  a venue for this type of communication or transaction.
We of course have no control over what correspondence goes on between
subscribers, or between subscribers and anyone on the planet  who reads
our archives. That is individual and out of our realm.

Thank you for understanding. There are many health issues with regard to
using donor milk, and potential for  problems exists  if the milk is not
treated and/or tested for possible infections, etc. I do not support the
use of donor milk that has not gone through proper processing and
testing, according to HMBANA guidelines. Thanks for keeping these types
of posts private...and thank you all for wanting to help mothers in this
situation.  Safety is important here.

Warm regards,

Kathleen Bruce RN IBCLC

Kathleen Bruce RN IBCLC
Independent consultant: Breastfeeding Clinic of Vermont, Lactation
Resources of Vermont, Medela, Inc.
Listowner Lactnet listserv
Archives: http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/lactnet.html