From:
Jo-Anne Elder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 May 2004 17:14:51 -0300
I'm not Karen, but this is one of my favourite topics, too!

I'm not sure I understand the difficulty with breast compression... is
it because the mother is breastfeeding them two at a time at all feedings?

The question of whether to feed separately until the latch is right or
to feed together to enable stronger nursers to "bring the milk down" or
to save time -- in my opinion the least important of reasons, since
there is no guarantee of sleep between feedings anyway :-) -- probably
has one answer: "Well, it depends." Last night at our twins' club
meeting, I quoted Karen Kerkhoff Gromada's statement that the decision
to breastfeed simultaneously or consecutively is as much the babies' as
the mother's. I have BTDT experience with multiples who don't latch
well, but also with older multiples who latch very well. In all cases,
our daily routine involved some simultaneous and some consecutive
feedings. If we are really doing cue feeding, of course, that is exactly
what will happen!

How about this kind of protocol: Some feedings separately with breast
compression. Baby stays on breast as long as no womb-mate is fussing too
much. If second (or third) baby wakes up or fusses, the mother can
shorten a feed and offer each baby one breast, in turn: e.g. Baby A
right breast 10 minutes, Baby B left breast 10 minutes, Baby C right
breast 10 minutes, Baby A left breast 10 minutes.

Other feedings together. These ones can be more leisurely; one baby can
be nursed and then cared for by daddy or grandmother while mother and
two babies go to bed, get settled, and nurse and doze for an hour or so.

Offer the breast to each baby every two hours at most. If complementary
or supplementary feeding is necessary, it can be given on a more regular
(every three, and then every four hours) with lots of "freebies" of
nursing in between.

Most importantly, of course, is that these are only suggestions...
mother has to do what works for her and her family. What a beautiful
family she has!

Jo-Anne