From:
JANE LOWE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 May 2001 09:42:53 -0600
There is another factor to consider about the Pump in Style.  I agree with what has been said and have seen all of the things mentioned.  It works for some and others, may need to rent the Lactina for awhile.  And I have even had one mom swear that she would use none other than the Medela Classic.  The one factor many people do not consider is the age and use of the Pump In Style.  I have seen more moms who borrow or buy a used Pump in Style.  First of all, it is not okay to just get another kit.  Both Medela and the CDC say the kit does not provide the same barrier that the rental pumps have.  This could create a potential for contamination and I think if people choose to do this they deserve to at least be informed of this.  Secondly, the pump has often been used a lot for several children and I am finding it loses it's suction.  I have watched several mom's milk supply slowly go down the tube because of this.  With a couple of moms, even after sharing this and making no change, lost their milk supply.
Jane Lowe, RN, IBCLC
Mpls, MN