From:
Edie Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 1997 20:32:13 -0500
I, too, have what Carol Schlef has in her NICU.  Yesterday I asked that
a breastfeeding fullterm baby be cupfed if mom (who was in much pain)
couldn't get to the nursery.  I had helped her and baby was already
having a hard time at the breast due to bottle nipples/no experience at
breast.  Today when I went back to help her it had been charted that
"attempted to cup feed" and then it was charted that the "baby nippled
very well with a yellow nipple".  I was very discouraged as he now is
also getting mad at the breast because her milk isn't in.
I did have a neonatologist agree to Kangaroo care for a baby on CPAP
whose mother is having a hard time with milk supply.  I gueass that's a
victory of sorts.
Edie Armstrong, BSN, IBCLC