From:
Victoria Nesterova <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2005 07:08:56 +0200
Dear Suzanne,
> Back to the oxytocin topic; does anyone know if a
> sub-q inj. would help w/ troublesome letdown?  Back in
> the olden days, we would give a minium of pitocin
> sub-q to speed up labor.  Can't imagine doing that
> now.
Yes, in reference book for OB-GYNs that I have, (it was published in Kiev in
1997), one of the methods for increasing supply is subcutaneous injections
of oxytocin 0.5 ml 2
times a day for 6 days. I know it is sometimes really used for this purpose,
as well as for easier exrpessing of milk plugs when mom has plugged ducts.
Among other recommendations are i/m injections of Lactin 100E 2 times daily
(it
is just prolactin, as I found). Never heard of that Lactin in real life
through.

As to the oxytocin, some time ago I consulted over the phone mom who was a
pharmacist herself. She was concerned about her low supply; it seemed it was
really low. After I explained all the basics she asked me about medications.
She told me that one doctor suggested dipping little cotton swabs into
oxytocin solution
that is used for injections  and then putting these swabs into mom's
nostrils.
Probably it will work like oxytocin nasal spray.

Sincerely yours,
Victoria Nesterova,
Kiev, Ukraine