From:
Jo-Anne Elder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Nov 2003 16:18:28 -0400

>Now when I explore these issues with moms I can say, "Here's ideas about
>what different people do.  Here are the advantages and the challenges.
>You can make a wise choice based on YOUR life, and you CAN walk your
>talk, even though it may be one of the biggest challenges you've ever
>had." And the help of good friends helps!

This is wonderful, Dawn.

But, you see, here is the thing. I read this and I *don't* hear:
Breastfeeding is normal, artificial feeding is worse / risky. I hear it
is top-of-the-line, something to strive for, something that is worth the
difficulties or the paradigm shifts, something that is transformative.

I think we need to make a distinction, here. For the individual mother
who is breastfeeding, praise and honour is deserved and needed. She is
doing the *best* thing for her baby. It may, indeed, be the most ethical
thing, or the most altruistic, or the most challenging.

On a societal level, breastfeeding is the norm. In prenatal classes,
with hcps, in literature, it is fine to say this, and to talk about the
risks and dangers of not breastfeeding. I don't think it is particularly
helpful when we are counselling mothers.
That's when Dawn's words are really valuable.

And I'm not entirely convinced that educating people about the risks is
the only way to promote our cause. I can think of other social issues in
which it wasn't the best or the only method. There seems to be a sense
on Lactnet that talking about the risks of smoking is what really
encourages people to quit. This may be true for some. However, I have
talked to a lot of teenagers who were indifferent to this, who seem to
work hard to "numb" themselves to the risks of these and other choices.
These same people were really happy to talk to people who were sensitive
to how hard it was to quit, and who encouraged them by telling them how
much healthier they would be. They told their friends that food tasted
better, kissing was more fun, etc. Another example is date rape, in
which encouraging young women to say "no" for positive reasons -- to do
something perfectly normal like expect to be treated respectfully -- was
more effective than educating them about the risks of going out with
people they didn't know, etc.

I don't mind being a minority voice, though, and wish you all luck in
promoting breastfeeding -- however you do it! I find that Lactnet is a
safe place to disagree, discuss, learn, grow, change... Thank you all!

Jo-Anne Elder-Gomes