From:
Sara Bernard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 May 2002 12:42:11 +0200
I'm beginning to see many double morals in how breast in public are viewed
in the US (thanks to your posts). But don't think there are no double morals
here though. I discussed this with my husband last night and he reminded me
that in Amsterdam the protistutes (the more 'professional' ones anyway) sit
in small windows plying their trade. We all know what their trade is and
you'd think you would be able to see what's on offer - but no, I've never
seen one of them showing their nipples in public (I say nipples as you can
visualisze their breasts). Not sure whether this is a legal requirement
though (or maybe they want to leave at least something for the
imagination!). Be interestion to find out though. Could write a whole
article on the subject!

Cheryl Muller wrote:
"What I've always found intriguing is that the part of the breast we are not
allowed to show in public is the nipple. That is the only part of a breast
that men have and they show them all the time."

Maybe their jealous! Don't most men have little flat nipples (so long as
the're not overweight!)?

It seems to me that the whole issue of breastfeeding in public and showing
breasts and nipples is an extremely complex issue. Like I said before I
don't go topless in public but do breastfeed in public, although fairly
discretely. I do it fairly discretely for two reasons; one I'm a prude, the
other is that some people do react if you flash your milky breasts around
and make a 'scene', but they don't react if your just seen to be quitely
feeding your child, to me this makes it all the more normal which is what I
think we are all after. I going to try and climb down of my very high soap
box now!

groetjes

Sara Bernard
The Netherlands (25oC outside and nice and sunny).